In the run-up to the 51st ERA-EDTA Congress, the largest nephrology congress in Europe, the European Renal Association – European Dialysis and Transplant Association (ERA-EDTA) and The Lancet medical journals, have started a successful collaboration. "We are delighted that this collaboration has come into being. The fact that The Lancet journals were interested in working with us is a clear indication of the growing importance of European nephrology within the scientific community. For the ERA-EDTA, this media partnership is a supreme accolade", commented Professor Raymond Vanholder (Ghent/Belgium), President of the ERA-EDTA.
No fewer than seven contributions are being published today in the online issue of The Lancet. The print edition will appear on 24 May exactly one week before the official opening of the Amsterdam Congress on 31 May:
• COMMENT: Renal replacement therapy: how can we contain the costs?
Raymond Vanholder, Wim Van Biesen, Norbert Lameire.
• ARTICLE: Renal replacement and extracorporeal blood therapies in neonates and small children: a paradigm shift.
Claudio Ronco, Francesco Garzotto, Alessandra Brendolan et al.
• COMMENT: Extracorporeal therapy for the smallest children.
Benjamin L Laskin, Bethany J Foster.
• ARTICLE: Haemodynamic-guided fluid administration for the prevention of contrast-induced acute kidney injury: the POSEIDON randomised controlled trial.
Somjot S Brar, Vicken Aharonian, Prakash Mansukhani et al.
• COMMENT: Hydration in contrast-induced acute kidney injury.
Carlo Briguori, Gerolama Condorelli.
• REVIEW: Kidney disease - Epidemiology, contributors to, and clinical trials of mortality risk in chronic kidney failure.
Alberto Ortiz, Adrian Covic, Danilo Fliser et al.
• REVIEW: Kidney disease - Rare inherited kidney diseases: challenges, opportunities, and perspectives.
Olivier Devuyst, Nine V.A.M. Knoers, Giuseppe Remuzzi et al.
These papers can now be downloaded electronically from MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from www.thelancet.com
Four other nephrology papers have already been published under this same collaboration, but in another journal of The Lancet family: The Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology:
• Efficacy and safety of empagliflozin added to existing antidiabetes treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney disease: a randomized double blind placebo controlled trial.
Anthony H Barnett, Ambrish Mithal, Jenny Manassie et al.
• Effects of sodium restriction and hydrochlorothiazide on RAAS blockade efficacy in diabetic nephropathy: a randomised clinical trial
Arjan J Kwakernaak, Jan A Krikken, Heleen Binnenmars et al.
• Fatty Kidney: emerging role of ectopic lipid in obesity-related renal disease
Aiko P J de Vries, Piero Ruggenenti, Xiong Z Ruan et al.
• Bone: a novel endocrine organ at the heart of chronic kidney disease-mineral and bone disorders
Marc G Vervloet, Ziad A Massy, Vincent M Brandenburg et al.